When I was finished, i turned to others gesturing that they should continue with their sharing, but at first they did not want to. The interesting thing is that that are all very friendly and caring people. In fact, though some are slightly shy, most of them are not. I started to ponder why they were so hesitant to speak up, especially because I knew that each and every one of them liked this colleague very much and had experienced plenty of great moments with him both within and outside of work. As I was finishing my thought, one of my colleagues spoke up and said "aiyah, if you all want me to say something I will say lah, but I don't say my feelings out one. I want to hug you also I won't hug I will just keep how i feel inside."
I'm glad she was honest, and with some nudging she eventually shared a little about what she appreciated about him. But this experience made me think about how important it is for us to push ourselves past our comfort zone when it comes to encouraging others. We might feel shy, or like someone else has already said what we have said, or that you could tell him some other time, or that you don't have anything significant to say...but in my opinion, if you share "something nice about your experience with him" you can't really go wrong! When was the last time you said to someone genuinely:"you know, I really appreciate how great of a listener you are" and that person turned around and said:"what?! I can't believe you said that me...humph" and detested you for what you had said? Yeah, that's right, NEVER! So yes, perhaps its easy for me to say because I'm not generally a shy person, but whether you are or not, just remind yourself how it really couldn't hurt, but it really could help if you are saying something encouraging.


No comments:
Post a Comment