[Also known as "Stream of Consciousness/ Free Writing"]
It feels great to speak our thoughts to a trusted friend or a loved one, but there is that odd time here and there that no one is around to hear you out. Sometimes the things which are on our mind just don't seem to form well into words from your lips. This is when I like to rush to my bag, grab a scrap of paper, my trusty pencil and just let the letters fall onto the sheet before me. I don't correct what I am writing- sometimes my writing is trivial, at times, profound, revealing, taboo, emotional, erratic, repetitive, shallow and sometimes seemingly pointless. But here are some
Reasons you should try it:
1) You will have a record of part of your life
2) Sometimes whatever was bothering you spills out
3) Expression of feelings allows weight off your sholders/mind
4) There is no pressure for you to say the 'right' thing
5) It helps push you into 'present' mode (instead of 'past/future' mode)
6) We have an opportunity to give ourselves unjudgemental attention
7) You may produce a solution just from being open
8) It can improve your memory and reasoning
9) Allows you to get comfortable with creating the imperfect!
Example of "As-it-spills-out Scribbling":
"mm...can't think of much to write about, the music is coming from next door, is it in english, i like how music makes you feel better sometimes funny how some people listen to happier music when they are upset and some listen to angry music....i wish dad and i would listen to more music together... we used to when I was younger...he does like good beats...mmm perhaps I should ask him out for a jazz concert soon!"
i totally support this scribbling business! I should re-start by blog...
ReplyDelete